Sunday 30 January 2011

As time flies by...

I wish I could write more often but sadly it doesn't seem to happen.
I will have some more thoughts on veganism and the ethics of modern farming later as I am currently reading Jonathan Safran Foer's book Eating Animals, so watch this space!

For now I'll just post some pics of what I've been eating over the last few weeks. Some of the pics aren't great (Im still practising!).


This was a yummy meal sized salad I had one evening that I smothered in vegan mayo, nutritional yeast and chopped almonds for extra crunch - I love yummy salads, just can't get enough!

I've also recently made a few discoveries of my own one being these pumpking and ginger rice noodles that I added to my classic tofu and veggie stir fry. They have very different texture to the most common rice noodles that you get in the supermarket - more cewy and spaghetti like. I really enjoyed them but they're not cheap at £1.89 a pack (three servings) I will be enjoying them occasionally though.


 Stir frying the veggies - I like to get as many coulours as possible in there!


I enjoyed this stir fry with homemade teriyaki and ginger sauce. The ingredients aren't cheapbut if you compare it to a bought premade sauce works out much more economical. Plus there are no added nasties or preservatives.


And my final note - Green Smoothies...


So I've been reading all over the place about the health benefits of green smoothies. I really struggle to get in my greens sometimes with working shifts. I also have very little appetite at 5.30am when I need to have breakfast so thought a smoothies might be the way to go. I'm still experimenting though and have yet to find one that works well. Pictured about is one I made from a ready to mix powder and wasn't too bad, however I wanted to try and get in some proper fresh greens. This morning I made a smoothie with vanilla vegan protein powder and a couple of big handfuls of kale and baby spinach. Seriously wrong... as much as I desperately want to enjoy this due to the health benefits I really couldn't stomach it :-( - I think next time I'll try and add a whole lot of fruit to balance out the veggies and will keep you updated on my experimentation!

Now I have to go and get ready for work - its Sunday morning... sigh.




No comments:

Post a Comment